Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Crazy, Crazy Week - Glad To Be A Homeschooler

This last week was one heck of a crazy week. It started out last Saturday with my 19 year old son going to the hospital. He has been living with friends for the last month (his choice not mine!). Well, that didn't work out so well. Luckily they called an ambulance. He was admited for pneumonia. Saturday I went to visit him and he seemed sick but okay. I didn't plan on visiting him Sunday as it was a crazy day and I work nights over the weekends so sleep during the day. I was just dropping the littles off at my sister's house when I got a text from his friends (who were visiting him at the hospital) that Brian was being sedated and intubated!!!!

I immediately headed to the hospital. To make a long story shorter, he was on the ventilator for 4 days. He did go home today thank goodness.

The part of this that angers me the most is I found out he was living in an apartment with no heat, no food, and apparently no water as he was disgustingly dirty and smelled!!!! He was not brought up this way by either of us (even though we are divorced!). It also doesn't help that he has congenital myasthenia, a form of muscular dystrophy and he HAS to take medicine 5 times a day and a night time time-release pill. He was NOT taking his medicine!!!

This is frustrating on so many levels as he is a very intelligent boy. I also don't think he has learned ANYTHING from this ordeal at all. He wanted to get out of the hospital and go right back to where he was living! Finally we convinced him to go home with his dad. We have to convince him his lifestyle has to change or he will die! I took a picture of him intubated. When I showed it to him (while he was still intubated) he started crying and saying he was sorry. I know he meant it at the time, but if he would just remember how he felt and how much he hurt. I just don't know how to convince him that these are not the friends for you and that you can do better!

On the note of homeschooling, the poor little guys didn't get much done this week. However, if they were in public or private school I just don't know how we would have made it. There would have been no way to get them to school and get them from school and visit Brian at all. The hospital is an hour from our home. I am so thankful my husband was on his week off work and was able to keep the boys home with him (although I think it wore him out!!!) Nico did go with me to the hospital one day and completed Math, Reading, and Language so it was something. I am totally impressed with myself about not stressing out about missing a week of school. I love the flexibility it offers us when crisis like this happen.

All I can say is I will be so glad to get back to normal next week. Even Luca said he is ready to do lessons! Life is a lesson and I hope more than just book lessons have been learned this week and in the future....especially for my 19 year old.

1 comment:

  1. YIKES! I'm glad your son is ok! I agree about homeschooling. It's nice to have that flexibility especially on occasions like this!
    Heidi (from in the fishbowl and HHM)

    ReplyDelete